Former Defense Site
NASA's Ames site is an aerospace research and development installation, located at the southwest end of the San Francisco Bay in Silicon Valley, amid a cluster of similar enterprises, including Onizuka Air Base and Lockheed's Missile and Space division. Facilities at Ames include several wind...
Like a bigger Alcatraz, Angel Island is an "away" place for the city, now as a park, but formerly as a site for activities undesirable in the midst of the city. Since the first use of the island as an artillery station in the 1860s, it has hosted many generations of gun batteries, up until 1962....
The Arkansas Aeroplex was Eaker Air Force Base until 1992, home of a B-52 bomber wing and a refueling wing with around 4,000 workers. It is now a civilian airfield with some National Guard support activities.
Once one of the largest ammunition plants in the country, Badger is being cleaned up and prepared for transition to civilian use. Operated by Olin Industries for much of its recent life, Badger manufactured primarily smokeless powder and small rocket propellant. It was active mostly during WWII,...
This 3,615-acre Naval Station was the last naval air station in Hawaii, and closed in 1999. It was home to several aviation patrol units, and to anti-submarine warfare support. Up until closure, the base housed 3,500 military personnel, and employed an additional 1,000 civilians.
A former military logistics and transportation terminal, on a two and a half mile long manmade peninsula in New York Harbor. Now  being redeveloped as a commercial port and waterfront community.
Benicia was the first army arsenal established on the West Coast, operating from 1849 to 1964, when its function was transferred to the larger Tooele Depot in Utah. It provided a defense for the gold mines of the Sierras, and supplied the army with weapons for wars against the Native Americans....
At a remote desert site six miles north of Kramer Junction is a former military base and Federal Prison Camp, with an active FAA radar facility. The prison, which closed in April 2000, was one of around 47 minimum security federal prison camps in the country, and housed about 540 male inmates....
Campbell Hill is the highest point of land in Ohio, at 1,550 feet above sea level. Structures at the top of the hill are former defense radar facilities, left from the period of 1951 to 1969, when, due to its relative altitude, the site was used as part of the nationwide NORAD system to detect...
History is layered at the southwestern-most corner of the state, where an interpretive center (officially the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center), sits atop an abandoned coastal battery, at the point where Lewis and Clark stood to view the Pacific at the end of their long journey, on the grounds...
Cape Henlopen is an interesting mix of scattered dunes, and former military fortifications, located on a natural promontory on the Delaware side of the mouth of Delaware Bay, across from Cape May New Jersey. As the gateway to the Delaware River, and the cities of Wilmington, Trenton, and...
In 2010 Cecil Field became the eighth licensed commercial spaceport in the country, and is being developed for use as a horizontal take-off and landing space launching site. The field is a former Naval Air Station, closed in 1999, with most of its activity transferred to the Naval Air Station at...
A 2,125-acre Air Force Base now closed, and undergoing clean-up. Chanute was constructed in 1917 as a storage site and training base. Technical training continued until 1993, when all military operations ceased, and the base began to be converted to civilian use. Chanute was the primary maintenance...
Crows landing is a 1,500 acre NASA facility in the Central Valley of California that was transferred to the County in 1999, and is undergoing clean-up by the Navy for eventual civilian use. It was a Naval Auxiliary Air Station for decades, serving Moffett Field (located in Silicon Valley), and...
The Desert Training Center (DTC) was an 18,000 square-mile Army training ground used from 1942-1944. General Patton created and commanded the DTC, which was also called the California-Arizona Maneuvers Area (CAMA). During its brief history, over a million US troops trained for combat here. The DTC...
One of eight remaining huge dirigible hangars built by the Navy during WWII remains at this site, now used by TCOM, an airship manufacturing company, as a manufacturing and test location. The massive wooden structure is 1,040 feet long, 150 feet high and 296 feet wide. One of a pair of hangars at...
During WWII there were 11 military installations on this remote island in the Aleutian Chain, covering approximately 188,420 acres. The primary installation was the Dutch Harbor Navy Base, which was attacked by Japanese aircraft in 1942, but was only partially damaged. The base is now abandoned,...
Until the closure of the base in 1999, El Toro was the largest Marine Corps air installation in the Western United States, with fighter jets training over the Pacific, and over ranges in the Imperial Valley and beyond. Even before the departure of the Marines the debate about whether to turn the...
Several clusters of coastal gun batteries were built on the shores of Washington State to protect strategic areas from aggressors, starting with the Spanish-American War and continuing through World War Two. The largest group of batteries is around the entrance to Puget Sound, where six major forts...
Fort Ord closed in 1994 and is no longer officially an infantry training base, though training operations by the military still take place at several locations. Its 28,000 acres on the central coast of California now house a state university, and portions will be developed into research facilities...
Fort Ritchie is a 638 acre Army post in the hills near the Pennsylvania/Maryland border. It was officially closed in 1998, and is in transition. A development company is awaiting transfer, clean-up, and conversion, though the military still uses the facility for reservists. A proposal to...
An abandoned military launch site, consisting of a weathered bunker and a launch pad. Located in Utah's West Desert, adjacent to the unrelated Grassy Mountain Hazardous Waste dump. The site of the first successful test of the supersonic Ground to Air Pilotless Aircraft (GAPA) missile, in 1946. On...
This memorial museum to General Patton is located off the interstate in a remote part of the Mojave. The museum is located at the site of Camp Young, one of 12 WWII training camps that were part of the 18,000 square-mile Desert Training Center (DTC). From 1942-1943 Patton commanded the DTC, also...
Until 1965, this massive, remote airport in eastern Washington was Larson Air Force Base, primarily a bomber training base for B-52 crews. It is now run by the County, and houses an interesting mix of functions around the 13,500-foot runway, one of the largest in the country: Japan Air Lines used...
Hamilton Field is the oldest of the recent base closure and conversion sites around the Bay, and an indication, perhaps, of the decades it can take for such redevelopment projects to come to fruition. Constructed in 1931 as a bomber base, it became a refugee center during the Vietnam war, and was...
Hawes Auxiliary Field is a former World War II training field that became a communications facility, then a rave site, and is now mostly flat land. From the 1960's to the 1980's the site was part of the military's SLFCS and GWEN emergency communication networks, used for low frequency...
Rocket motors were produced in this now abandoned industrial complex during World War II and into the 1950's. In the production buildings, heavy walls of cement separated the assembly alcoves from one another, with a shared glass wall to permit an explosion to escape with minimum damage to the rest...
This Upper Peninsula Air Force Base closed in 1995. The 5,200 acre base housed B-52 bombers and refueling aircraft, and employed around 5,000 people. Former SAC base and part of the SAGE system.
The uninhabited ten mile long island of Kahoolawe, off the southwest shore of Maui, was used as a bombing range for the Navy until the late 1990's and underwent a $280 million clean-up to remove unexploded ordanance.
Formerly a 9,000-acre Air Force Base in the extreme northeast corner of the USA, in Aroostook County, Maine (the county is as large as Connecticut and Rhode Island combined and is the most sparsely populated county east of the Mississippi). Before closing in 1994, the base was the home of a...