Nuclear / Radioactive
The Project Gnome Site is the location of a 1961 underground nuclear test conducted by the Atomic Energy Commission, near Loving, New Mexico. This was the first test in the Plowshare Program, a program to develop peaceful uses for nuclear weapons. The Lawrence Radiation Lab (which later became...
A nuclear power plant with a single 520-foot-tall cooling tower. Located on a 2,300-acre site on the east bank of the Mississippi River, Grand Gulf opened in 1982, and reached full capacity in 1985. The plant has an output capacity of 1,300 megawatts. A planned second reactor was never built....
This was the site of a former uranium mill, which was removed and cleaned up beginning in the mid-1980s, as part of the federal Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Act Project. Also known as the Climax Mill site, it covers approximately 114 acres. The mill operated for 19 years, and shut down in 1970....
This Department of Energy (DOE) uranium mill and laboratory was originally founded as a source of uranium for the Manhattan Project. It later became the center of the government-initiated uranium mining boom of the 1940s and 1950s, propelled by the Defense Department's continuing need for fuel for...
A disposal mound for radioactive tailings, located at the site of a former uranium mill. The mill was operated by Union Carbide from 1957 to 1961. The mill site was bought by the State of Utah in 1988, and the buildings remain, gutted and abandoned. The DOE took over the disposal operations, and...
Former 61.5-acre uranium mill site, active from 1958 until 1962. As part of the subsequent clean-up process, around 39 acres worth of radioactive mill tailings had to be removed, a process which took from 1992 to 1995 to complete. This undertaking was part of the federal Uranium Mill Tailings...
Currently the most contaminated nuclear site in the U.S., the Hanford facility was established in 1943 on a 586 square-mile site, in order to produce plutonium for the top-secret Manhattan Project.  In its heyday, the site included nine nuclear reactors, five plutonium processing facilities,...
Nuclear technology lab, testing facility, and radioactive material storage/disposal site. Located on 573,608 acres in southern Idaho, facilities include a utility-scale power grid for testing and simulations, a wireless communications and cyber security center, an explosives impact analysis lab, a...
Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant's two pressurized water reactors have been in operation since the early 1970's, making the plant one of the oldest still functioning in the U.S., in a region with some of the highest population density in the country. Unit 2 has an output capacity of 1,028MW, while...
This plant, located in north central Oklahoma, once made plutonium pellets for nuclear reactor fuel rods. It is famous as the site where Karen Silkwood worked and was exposed to radiation that threatened her life. She gathered what she said was evidence of corporate wrong-doing at the plant,...
Though only abandoned parking lots and building slabs remain visible today, this used to be a major nuclear training site for Knolls Labs. From 1957 until 1993, the Department of Energy operated a full-scale nuclear reactor prototype for testing and training of Navy personnel here, part of an...
A 4,100-acre federal installation devoted to research into nuclear propulsion systems. Knolls designs and develops reactors used primarily in military submarines. Owned by the Department of Energy, and operated by Bechtel (formerly by  Lockheed Martin and General Electric), the lab has...
A naval nuclear R&D and training site, associated with the Department of Energy's nearby Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory. This site has four land-based prototype reactors, like those used in nuclear powered submarines, which are used for research into developing improved nuclear propulsion...
Radioactive tailings from a uranium mill have been consolidated inside an engineered disposal cell, seven miles north of the mill and the town of Lakeview. The mill was built in 1958 and operated until the 1970s, when a lumber operation took over the site. Cleanup, including the construction of the...
One of the three principal federal nuclear labs, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is a complex of diverse facilities on a cramped 821 acres, at the edge of the suburban community of Livermore, California. The square plot of arid land (a former WWII airfield) is adjacent to a range of bare,...
One of three underground nuclear tests performed at different places on this 42-mile long island in the Aleutian Chain. This 1965 test, named Long Shot, consisted of an 80 kiloton yield bomb, detonated at the bottom of a 2,297-foot shaft. The test was one of several in a series, performed at...
Los Alamos National Lab is one of the three principal diversified Department of Energy nuclear research and development labs, along with Lawrence Livermore, and Sandia National Labs. It employs around 12,000 people, occupies 43 square miles and consumes over two billion dollars per year. The lab...
A disposal cell for wastes from a processing site for rare earths, uranium and thorium. The cell is 8 acres in size and is surrounded by forests, near the small town of Lowman, 73 miles northeast of Boise.
Built in 1972, this was Maine's only nuclear power plant. It was decommissioned in 1997, and was dismantled over an eight year period, at a cost of over $500 million. The reactor vessel was shipped by barge to the nuclear waste storage facility at Barnwell, South Carolina, in 2003. Most of the site...
The Malta Test Station is a former 165-acre industrial R&D site surrounded by a wooded buffer zone in suburban Saratoga, established in 1945 by the U.S. Government for rocket engine and fuel testing, explosives testing, and atomic energy research. It has been used over the years by government...
Maxey Flats is a closed and monitored commercial radioactive waste site. From 1963 to 1977, radioactive waste from hundreds of sites, including research labs, hospitals, and government sources, was transported here and disposed of in 46 unlined trenches, up to 680 feet long, 70 feet wide, and 30...
There are two disposal cells at the former uranium mining and processing center near the town of Maybell, in the northwestern corner of Colorado. The east cell is the repository for wastes from the uranium mine and mill that operated here from 1955 to 1964, producing 2.6 million tons of ore. The...
The McGuire Nuclear Power Plant is nestled on the banks of Lake Norman, from which it draws its cooling water. The plant is operated by Duke Energy Carolinas, LLC, on behalf of owner Duke Energy Corporation. It is home to two pressurized water reactors, whose combined output is 2,316MW. The...
The Mexican Hat Disposal Cell is the location for radioactive material from a uranium mill located nearby which operated from 1957 to 1965, and from another uranium mill site 15 miles southwest, near Monument Valley. The mill there operated from 1955 to 1968. 1.3 million tons of tailings and waste...
This complex of three nuclear power plants, Millstone Units 1, 2, and 3, constitute New England's largest electrical generating facility. Millstone Unit 1, was built in 1966, going online in 1970, with a total output of 2011MW. It was followed by Unit 2, built in 1970, going online in 1975, with a...
One of three underground nuclear tests performed at different places on this 42-mile long island in the Aleutian Chain. This 1969 test, named Milrow, consisted of an 1.2 megaton-yield bomb, detonated at the bottom of a 4,003-foot shaft. The test was part of a calibration program conducted to...
In its initial incarnation as MITR-1, the then five megawatt nuclear reactor, achieved criticality in 1958, remaining in continuous operation until 1973, when it was shut down, in order to implement various upgrades. In 2010, the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), approved all proposed...
Tailings from a uranium mine, currently undergoing clean-up as part of the Uranium Mill Tailings Remediation Act Project. The site covers approximately 90 acres, on Navajo Nation land.
Owned by the Department of Energy and operated for many years by Monsanto and EG&G, the Mound Plant produced detonation devices for nuclear weapons and conducted research on nuclear fuels and isotope separation, starting in 1947. In 1993 the DOE decided to terminate all production at the plant...
The National Enrichment Facility, also called “Urenco USA,” is a new uranium enrichment plant, built recently in the ranchlands near the town of Eunice, in the southeastern corner of New Mexico. The facility is one of only two uranium enrichment plants in the nation, and one of less than a dozen...