First Chain Reaction Site, University of Chicago, Illinois

The lab where the first controlled nuclear chain reaction took place in 1942, was in a converted squash court at the University of Chicago, under the grandstands at the Stagg Field Stadium. Stagg Field was demolished in the late 1960's, but a monument was constructed at the site, a 12 foot tall bronze sculpture designed by Henry Moore.