Midland
Foundations and scattered debris indicate the site of a major gypsum plant and community of 1,000, once located in this remote region 20 miles from the nearest settlement. The U.S. Gypsum company established the town and plant to process gypsum extracted from nearby mines in 1925, responding to a demand for a new product: drywall. After the mine shut down in 1966, the town was intentionally burned to the ground. U.S. Gypsum still manufactures over half of the nation's plaster products, and operates a major plant in Plaster City, California.