Tailings from a uranium mine and mill were buried here as part of the Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action Project. The cell is 50 acres in size, and is located on the Navajo Nation. The Tuba City mill was built in 1955-56 by the Rare Metals Corporation of America and included limited employee housing at the site. The Rare Metals Corporation merged with the El Paso Natural Gas Company in 1962 and operated the mill until 1966. The cell was finished in 1990. Groundwater contamination issues are also being addressed at the site through a water treatment facility.
Tuba City Uranium Disposal Cell