Row of Barracks

1599 CLUI photo

This western row of barracks has been left unused by former airport managers to maintain their original appearance for historical purposes. Many of the 668 buildings that comprised the base at its peak, in 1945, were of the residential type. Most of the barracks were like the 19 remaining structures here, 20 feet wide and 100 feet long, housing 24 soldiers, in a single long room with 24 cots and 24 shelves. There were seven cantonment areas like the one within this fenced compound, each with around 20 barracks, 2 latrines, and a mess hall.

Javascript is required to view this map.