Tank Farm

1614 CLUI photo

On the north side of the road, behind the tattered fence, is the underground fuel tank farm for the old airbase. Nine primary tanks held a total capacity of 300,000 gallons, in tanks as large as 60 feet in length. Though mostly empty by now, the tanks are still in the ground, visible only by pipes and vents protruding from overgrown cement casings on the ground. This is an area of particular interest to the Army Corps of Engineers, who are doing a study of potentially toxic and hazardous sites at the airbase.

Javascript is required to view this map.