Detroit Arsenal, Michigan
Built in 1941 and operated by Chrysler on behalf of the U.S. Government, this plant was to become one of the premiere armament production facilities during WWII, ultimately producing a significant number of M3 and M4 Sherman tanks used in that conflict. In 1982, Chrysler sold the plant to General Dynamics, who proceeded to split production of the M1 Abrams tank between the Detroit Arsenal and a second facility in Lima, OH. In 1996, all tank production was permanently relocated to the Lima, OH factory, resulting in the closure of the Arsenal plant. While the area once occupied by the plant is now used for civilian activities, the rest of the site is currently home to the United States Army Tank Automotive Research Development and Engineering Center (TARDEC), as well as the United States Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM). TARDEC also maintains a research laboratory known as the U.S. Army TARDEC Fuels and Lubricants Research Facility (TFLRF), at the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, Texas.