Division Creek Power Plant

3225CLUI photo.
Division Creek was the first power plant built by the agency that would become DWP. The plant was built in 1908, and captured water running through a small creek on the west side of the valley. It produced 0.1 megawatt of electricity, which was used to build the Los Angeles Aqueduct. The original plant was destroyed in a fire, but a second plant at the site, Unit 2, still generates around 0.5 megawatts. It is one of four small hydroelectric plants along the Los Angeles Aqueduct in the Owens Valley, south of Bishop.