Points of Interest Around the Old Wendover Airfield
Javascript is required to view this map.

VIEW LIST OF SITES

Called "Leftover Field" by Bob Hope when he visited with the USO in 1942, Wendover Airfield is now a large and largely unused former World War II airfield. Construction of the Wendover Airbase started in 1940, and by 1943 it was one of  the largest military reserves in the nation, in area. Around 17,500 military personnel, supported by 2,000 civilians, were based in more than 650 buildings, primarily to train B-17 and B-24 bomber crews, who practiced bombing Europe and Japan over 3.5 million acres of the surrounding desert.
 
Late in 1944 Wendover became the home of the training program for the first atomic bombing missions, later carried out on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The remains of the assembly and modification areas associated with this top-secret program can be seen in the distance, a mile south of the flightline of the Wendover Airport. The former office for Colonel Tibbets, the commander of the atomic bomb squadron, is now a public storage building.
 
By the 1950s the base's use was in steep decline, and the Air Force officially transferred the base to the Town of Wendover in 1977. In 1999, the town surrendered the base to Tooele County, which owns and manages the airport and the remaining 100 or so buildings. Wendover Airfield’s history blends with the present in many interesting ways, much of which can be seen by exploring it physically, there, and virtually, here.